Alden’s Pulled Pork Barbecue

Last week I made my sister-in-law’s pork barbecue recipe for dinner and it was a huge hit.  I loved this meal for a variety reasons.  Mainly, it’s another great meal in the Dutch oven that involves all the labor way in advance of dinner.  (And the labor is minimal with a delicious final product.) It feeds a crowd, makes your house smell good and can be served right out of the Dutch oven.  No meat carving involved.  Now that we live in an apartment building, we don’t always have grill access so it’s a plus that the cooking process doesn’t involve a grill.  This recipe also reminds me of my brother, Rob, who loves pork barbecue, and his wonderful wife, Alden, who makes barbecue for him!  Now that I’ve moved away from my family, I find myself gravitating towards recipes that have sentimental value because they remind me of family and they don’t feel as far away.

In preparation for this meal, I bought a 4-pound pork butt because I couldn’t find a pork shoulder.  Either works for this recipe and it shouldn’t make a huge difference.  (Pork butt is actually part of the pork shoulder.)  Before purchasing the meat, make sure to take a look at your Dutch oven to see what size piece of meat will fit in it.  You don’t want the meat to be too big.

This is a great meal for serving a large group.  There were five of us at dinner and everyone had seconds, plus there were leftovers so I would say that it easily serves 8-10 people.

Alden’s Pulled Pork Barbecue:

Preheat oven to 325. Trim fat from 4 lb. pork shoulder or pork butt. (You really do want to trim the pork because it will make for less greasy liquid when you finish.

Rub meat with your favorite dry rub.  I used the following spice blend for my rub:

DSC01856

Rub Recipe:

1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon, Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground red pepper
DSC01858

At this point you can wrap it in foil or Saran Wrap and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours, or you can cook it.  (In investigating other pork BBQ recipes, I found that most recommend refrigerating the meat for at least a few hours with the dry rub.)

Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Brown pork on all sides, about 4 minutes on each side.  (This process locks in the flavor and adds a nice crust to the meat.  Don’t worry that you’re going to overdo it.  You won’t.)

DSC01859

Put lid on Dutch oven. Put in oven and cook for 3-3 1/2 hours until meat is tender and shreds with a fork.

Skim fat from pan juices, if necessary. Mix meat with pan juices and 1-1/2 c. BBQ sauce.  (I used ‘Bone Suckin’ Sauce, extra thick, which is gluten-free.)  You’ll find that the meat just begins to fall apart as you shred it with a fork and then sauce mixes in nicely with it.

DSC01861

(I forgot to take a photo of the pork until we’d already started eating, so this isn’t the entire batch.  I just brought the Dutch oven to the table and let everyone serve themselves.  Truly family style dining!)

Note: when I first removed the pork butt from its packaging (before putting the rub on the meat), it seemed to be falling apart a little bit, so I actually tied it with some cooking string to hold its shape.  I kept the string on throughout the browning and cooking process.  I’m not confident that it made any difference on the cooking but it definitely made it easier to brown on the stove.

DSC01862

My side dishes for this meal were also yummy and recipes for them will soon follow.  I made a baked butternut squash and a salad with fresh mixed greens, pears, goat cheese, pecans, and homemade salad dressing.

1. RAD says:

Can not wait to try this one… My pulled pork loving husband from North Carolina will be thrilled!

2. Chris says:

I was sitting to the left of the plate, and the meal was fantastic. Big salute to the Alden’s pulled pork BBQ.

3. Megan says:

Bets!! This looks delish!! I’m in charge of making dinner for people in my NY dinner club (in my 250 sq ft apartment) and am thinking about this. If I have a tiiiiiiny burner but could probably brown it but a convection microwave oven (that will fit a dutch oven). What do you think?! Should I bump the temp down a bit?!

You should definitely try it out, Megan! Maybe bump down the temp a little bit but check on it periodically. When I made it, I left it in the oven for an extra 45 minutes because I was running late on the rest of dinner and it was totally fine so I’m not too worried about it overcooking. I think it just gets more tender the longer you let it cook. Let me know how it goes!

5. kyle says:

would love the chance to explain how-to BBQ pork on a slow smoker ;)

I appreciate your blog, but the Southerner in me is feeling unforgiving on this occasion for suggesting BBQ can be prepared inside the house :P

keep the great info coming – but no cutting corners!

I know, it’s hard to believe that good bbq can be made indoors and not in a slow cooker. I was skeptical myself! I’ll definitely be writing about slow cooker bbq and would love your recipes/thoughts.
    We miss having a grill so much this year! We have one in our apt complex but we’ve found its temp to be pretty temperamental and I have to be careful about contamination so I use a ‘veggie grill plate’ to cook on it.

7. Billy says:

I was fortunate enough to be present at this meal, and it was without a doubt the best barbeque I have ever eaten. And I love barbeque. Thank you Betsy!

8. Alden says:

Alden here, of Alden’s Pulled Pork Barbecue, with a message for Kyle.

Hi Kyle. Glad to meet another Barbecue enthusiast. In the spirit of education about America’s greatest cuisine, I would like to address a couple of points in your comments.

1. The South does not have a monopoly on Barbecue. There are several distinct barbecue regions in this nation, with Kansas City (my cultural hearth) arguably being the most famous. In fact, the largest organization of barbecue enthusiasts in the world is located there: http://www.kcbs.us/about.php.

2. As such, please respect that barbecue can be made to suit all sorts of climatic conditions, including Midwestern winters. I challange a warm-blooded southerner to try making pulled pork outside in January anywhere outside of the former CSA. I also challenge you to produce authoritative material declaring that barbecue can only be made outdoors. And I fail to see how a recipe that takes four hours to make constitutes “cutting corners.”

Thank you.
    Betsy, love the blog.

9. Alden says:

Oops, I know that challenge is spelled with two e’s, not two a’s.

1. [...] While I’m on the Eastern Shore this week with my family, we’ll be having chili one night and Alden’s pork barbecue another evening.  I originally found this chicken chili recipe on Glutenfreeda, (a great database [...]

2. [...] David cooked an incredible turkey on the grill that was unbelievable.  Alden made her famous pulled pork barbecue in the Dutch Oven for David’s birthday as well as the pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving dinner. My [...]