I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Gelato!

IMG_0026

Nothing says summer like gelato.  This wonderful treat reminds me of my study abroad during college.  Traveling through England, Spain, France and Italy, our trio of girls would search all day for the best gelato.  It was so hot in Italy (sort of like Atlanta right now) and gelato was the best way to cool off after a long day of sight seeing.

I love gelato and it should be naturally gluten-free, right?.  Unfortunately, most gelato places offer glutenous flavors, such as cookies ‘n cream and others that contain crumbly toppings that easily contaminate the gluten-free flavors.

IMG_0029

Recently, David and I discovered Paolos Gelato in Virginia Highlands.  I walked in a noticed immediately that none of the flavors screamed ‘gluten.’  (No cookies ‘n cream, no cookie dough, etc.) Good sign.  I then asked the woman working about whether their flavors were gluten-free.  She didn’t know so she asked another guy.  (Possibly the manager?)  He asked if I had celiac and he said his best friend has celiac and eats their gelato all the time.  Hurray!  (Just make sure to tell them you want your gelato in a cup, without the cookie.)

IMG_0027

Paolos is a great new discovery and the perfect spot for an after dinner treat on a summer evening.  We went the other night and it hit the spot.  (David lost a bet so he owed me dessert.)  My favorite flavors are the mint chocolate chip and straciatella.  Delicious!

Does anyone know of any other good gluten-free desserts in Atlanta?

Paolos Gelato – 1025 Virginia Avenue Northeast – Atlanta, GA 30306-3523

1. Anne Steib says:

Straciatella is my favorite! I used to love going here when I would come to visit, and now I can’t wait that I can go regularly once I move in 2 weeks, thanks for the review!

2. Tiffany says:

Thanks for the reminder Betsy. LOVE that place and ate there before and after I was gluten-free. It’s the closest thing I’ve found to ‘real’ Italian gelato in Atlanta. We ate gelato every day in Italy too…my husband actually enjoyed it twice a day. Also, all Pinkberry yogurt flavors are gluten-free, but they are not as good as gelato to me. Plus, the Cobb location is way out of our way to visit.

3. elaney says:

okay, new to the gluten free word, but i THINK popsicles would be gluten free…try King of Pops! http://kingofpops.net/

Oh, those look yummy. Have you tried them?

5. JLAL says:

I sampled gelato in 5 Italian cities this summer, so I will let you know what I think when I get back. Not surprisingly, Betsy, we share favorite flavors!!!

Of course we do, Moxie! Too bad we can’t get gelato on the westside…

7. Pat says:

My daughter went to Italy 2 weeks ago. She is severely sensitive to gluten and tried a hazelnut gelato (she eats Nutello regularly), she got really sick. They told her it didn’t have gluten, but after that she read the ingredients and said ALL gelato in Italy had gluten. Be very careful if you are sensitive/celiac.