Our Top 5 Atlanta Restaurants

When David and I go for runs we talk about anything to keep us from thinking about the fact that we’re running. To quote David, “the best part about running is being done.” (Usually I let David talk and I nod my head, conserving as much energy as possible.)

On Sunday morning we went for a run and in the midst of our huffing and puffing, we created our “Top 5” Atlanta restaurant list.  When making the list, we had nice venues in mind.  Think entrees over $20.  Notice that I didn’t call this the Top 5 Gluten-Free Restaurant List…all of these make great gluten-free food because all of their food is lovely, quality and creative.

Here’s what we came up with:

1. Bacchanalia (Westside): Favorite dishes: anything and everything.
  2. Empire State South (Midtown): We went here for the first time last weekend and loved it!  Our wonderful dining experience prompted our “Top 5 Discussion.”  Will post more details soon.
  3. Iberian Pig (Decatur): Favorite dishes are “BWDs” and lamb ribs
  4. Rosebud (Virginia Highlands): Favorite dish: scallops with pineapple smoked bacon, caroline rice, and sorghum mustard peppercorn honey
  5. Wisteria (Inman Park): Favorite dish: rack of lamb and mashed potatoes

What are some of your ATL favorites?  What do you like to order?  David and I are always looking for new places to try!

Still to come: Top 5 Atlanta casual spots…list to be determined during our next run.

1. Michelle says:

Rosebud is still my favorite, followed by JCT prob and Local 3. Hoping to try Bacchanalia soon!!

2. Kristin says:

Still waiting for that super special occasion to go to Bacchanalia! Ha, we just need to up and go. On the list: JCT, Woodfire Grill, Rathbun’s… I need to ponder a bit longer. Wisteria is definitely up there and we have not been to Empire State South or Iberian Pig yet… must add to the list.

Casual spots – Fox Bros (!!!!!), Hankook, Six Feet Under, Panahar, Malaya for takeout, Nuevo Laredo (sometimes… sometimes notsomuch)

Haven’t been to Local 3 yet but am hearing great things!

You both must try Bacchanalia! It’s totally worth the price. You can also get 1/2 glasses of wine which makes it a little more reasonable and you can “sample” more. Woodfire and Rathbun’s are great ones too. I wish Iberian Pig was closer! So many great spots in Decatur that I just don’t get to enjoy often enough.

5. David says:

I haven’t been blown away by JCT. Good fried chicken (NOT gf) but not great ambiance and so-so food.

No steakhouses on this list… I haven’t been to Bones yet, but I wonder whether it would make the Top 5?

6. MSI says:

#1 is perfection. Not sure why you would need 2-5.

7. Mere says:

everyone must try local 3…been twice now and loved every second of it! Last night’s duck meatloaf was AH-mazing. My favs, other than local 3 at the moment are definitely Rosebud, Parish, and JCT (sorry David, I haven’t been let down yet). For casual, I’m obsessed with Antico and TDS (duh).

8. anne says:

I was just at Iberian Pig this weekend, and while I loved it, they clearly said the BWD were not gluten-free, because they are friend with breaded items. I was so disappointed.

Gosh, Anne. I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve never had a “fried version” of the BWDs. It must be a change to the menu. I don’t know why they need to fry them. They’re so good un-fried! Thanks for the update.