What I ate…

The first trimester of pregnancy can be a little rough.  At least it was for me.  That’s what I get for thinking morning sickness doesn’t really exist.  I had to learn the hard way that yes, in fact morning sickness is real.  As you know from my last three years of posts, I love vegetables, whole grains, freshly baked desserts, and fresh food.  During my first 16 weeks of pregnancy, however, my routine eating habits were thrown out the window, due to constant nausea, exhaustion and a general apathy towards cooking.

Most of the foods one “craves” during morning sickness tend to be bread, crackers, and other gluten-filled items.  With my new taste buds, I had to entirely rethink my trips to the grocery store and alter my grocery lists.

Here’s a list of what I semi-successfully ate for the first 16 weeks of morning sickness:

Udi’s plain bagels and cream cheese: Normally I’m a cereal girl but Baby Metcalf did not appreciate my morning cereal routine.  Fortunately, I found a good substitute.  Udi’s bagels taste so similar to the real thing.  Toasted, they are delicious with cream cheese.  I think I’ve had at least one every day for the last four months.  I even traveled with my own bagel stash over Christmas.

Chik-fil-a French fries: Chik-Fil-A uses a separate fryer for the fries so I don’t have to worry about contamination.  Their waffle fries are delicious and could serve as an entire meal for me.  Warning: don’t try to steal any off my tray.  (David learned this the hard way.)

Ruffles potato chips: How did I not know before how darn good these chips are?  Deliciously salty, with amazing texture I’ve been converted from kettle cooked to ruffle.  I don’t know if I’ll ever go back.

Lucy’s Cookies: These were the only sweet thing I had any desire to eat besides fruity candy during my first trimester.  I think I liked them because they weren’t too sweet and I could nibble on them throughout the day.  I bought the variety pack on amazon on a very regular basis.

Mike & Ikes: I normally enjoy all things minty: brushing my teeth, chewing gum or enjoying a mint.  Well, mint flavored anything just made me throw up so I resorted to Mike & Ike’s to get bad tastes out of my mouth.  I know.  It’s disgusting.

Spaghetti: I couldn’t eat bagels and chips for every meal so I found that my body really liked spaghetti.  (Thanks to my sister-in-law, Heidi, for that suggestion!)

Canada Dry Ginger Ale: No longer did I want a glass of cabernet at the end of a long day but a fizzy, sugary soda to ease my stomach.  Canada Dry is definitely gluten free.  I’ve had mixed findings in researching other brands.

Fruit: This was the one healthy thing that I could eat.  I loved blueberries, strawberries, pineapple and grapes.  I also drank a lot of orange juice which I’ve never been a big fan of before. (I would get the OJ with extra calcium since I wasn’t really getting it anywhere else.)

The good news is that everyone is right: morning sickness goes away.  I’m thrilled to be (sort of) back to my old ways.  I’m still not cooking up a storm in the kitchen, and I find myself toasting a bagel every morning for breakfast but I have had salad in the last week.  Baby steps, right?

For those of you gluten-free moms out there: what did you eat when you were battling morning sickness.  I never found a gluten-free cracker that tasted good to me.  I tried Glutinos for awhile but got tired of them.  Would love your thoughts.

1. RAD says:

I’ve heard liking OJ is a sign you’re having a girl…that was true in my case! Boy or girl I can’t wait to meet Baby Metcalf!

2. Hey Betsy, I have 2 kids and unfortunately my morning sickness lasted 40 wks for both pregnancies! I ate a lot of san-j rice crackers, brown rice, applesauce. Later I craved Amys
    Rice mac and cheese, grapefruit, lemonade, pad Thai, grilled shrimp over salads, friendship whipped cottage cheese, and corn tacos. No idea if this helps you! Good luck and congrats

3. Susannah says:

Betsy, I have an advisee who is gluten/dairy/meat free. So having advisee dinners is tricky to say the least! But last week, I came across Trader Joe’s gluten/dairy-free brownie mix and they are delicious. For the most part they are gooey and uber-chocolatey. And my advisee is very happy with them.

Hi Liegha, So glad you found Gluten Freedom! It’s funny how each pregnancy can be so different. I’ve loved french fries and potato chips.

Oh wow, Susannah! That’s a tough combination. I’m glad to hear the Trader Joe’s mix is good. I don’t think I’ve ever made them so I’ll have to give them a try. Hope you and your family are doing well!

6. Rob says:

Chik-Fil-A fries and Mike and Ikes sounds like a wonderful meal! I’ll have to try it soon…

7. lucy says:

ah, this is helpful, I am trying with Blue Diamond nut thins, they are good- and salty. Although, just picturing them in my head right now makes me queasy… I am also all about the orange juice, although I have been mixing it half and half with water because it is kinda sugary maybe? It is more sugar than I usually drink anyway.

Thai food is totally my friend still, panang curry with a huge heap of white rice, and other than that I am at a bit of a loss, I wish more seemed palatable but mostly I am just inserting it into my mouth in hopes it will calm the quell!

8. Stephanie says:

The Blue Diamond nut crackers are good, but by FAR the best GF crackers I’ve found are made by Crunchmaster. They are amazing and I would eat them all the time even if I were not GF!

The multi-SEED (I prefer those to the multi-grain) crackers come in original, Sea Salt, Roasted Garlic, and Rosemary & Olive Oil. The latter two are my favorite. Great with cheeses, dips, or by themselves. They are made of quinoa and several other grains.

You can find them at Publix in the deli section. (Not always all flavors…so when I find my favs I stock up.) Look them up online…they have a great website. Oh, you can also order them on Amazon.com and I have found the original bulk at Costco.

9. Heather says:

This is so helpful!! I just found out I’m expecting (5 weeks today :-) and nothing but mashed potatoes has been even a little bit ok. My husband keeps telling me I should eat other things too but I couldn’t figure out what! Anyway thank you for this! It made my day!

Hi Heather! I’m so glad you found this post helpful. It’s hard to find things that taste and sound good during those early month of pregnancy.