More Summer Reading

I always fought the Kindle.  I love books.  I love the feel of them in my hands and the smell of the pages, especially old books.  I enjoy the conversations started when strangers ask you about the book you’re reading because they’ve seen the cover.  With a Kindle or Nook, you just look like you’re reading a screen and plugged into yet another technological device.

BUT, I have to admit, I’ve been converted.  David bought me a Kindle recently and I’ve officially fallen for it.  I am tearing through books on this thing.  Now I probably won’t read a lot of non-fiction, history texts on the Kindle, because I like to flip back and forth between the index, the photos and the text, but the Kindle is great for summer reads.  It’s just so darn easy to hold too.  I never thought I would fall in love with the Kindle, but I have.

So here are my first three reads on the Kindle:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Safran Foer: This work of fiction that was made into a movie last year with Sandra Bullock.  While a major part of this book is about NYC and September 11th, it’s more about the odyssey of a boy looking to learn more about his deceased father’s past.  I enjoyed this voice of this book, through the eyes of the boy, Oskar, and his grandfather, and you feel like you’re a part of each story.  We can all relate to Oskar as he deals with grief, the past and an unwillingness to let go of his father.

The American Heiress,  Daisy Goodwin: If you enjoyed the drama, romance, and sometimes cheesiness of Downton Abbey, this is the book for your summer reading list.  While the story starts in Newport, Rhode Island at the turn of the 20th century, Cora Cash (the American Heiress and main character) spends most of the story among the wealthy in England.  A bit of a fish out of water in England, Cora (and her maid, Bertha) experience their own coming of age stories, full of love, heart ache and suspense.

Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, Anna Quindlen: My mom sent me this memoir, written by Pullitzer Prize winner and New York Times writer, Anna Quindlen.  In this book, she addresses the topics of aging, motherhood, generational differences, career, friendship, and faith.  As I’m about to enter a new stage in life, I really enjoyed reading Quindlen’s insights and reflections on her own life.  Even though she is twice my age, I still felt like I could relate to Quindlen’s stories, struggles and triumphs.  Lots of Candles… is a quick read that will provide you with an abundance of food for though.

Do you have any Kindle reading recommendations?

1. Jenn says:

If you like Downton Abbey/books like it, try The House at Riverton. Basically set in a wealthy house in England around WWI. Very intriguing!

2. Caroline Woods says:

Hi Betsy! You must be getting so close to holding your little girl. I’m so excited for you guys.

I never thought I’d love a Kindle either (I love books as artifacts) but I love it too. You’re right, it’s good for certain kinds of books–ones that you can just speed through. I read The Tiger’s Wife on Kindle and I kind of don’t recommend reading it that way. It was a little confusing and the medium didn’t help.

A good quick and exciting read is The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde–not a new book, but lots of fun if you haven’t read it. And if you like it, there’s a whole series. It’s kind of like geek reading for adults.

3. Alden says:

Not Moby Dick.

Love being your Kindle friend.

4. Becky Scott says:

Hey Betsy! congratulations! some motherhood related reads that I have enjoyed (on my Kindle- I, too, fought the good fight but gave in hard and fast once I discovered the 1-click purchasing on Amazon):

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
    and
    The Blessings of a Skinned Knee by Wendy Mogel

These two books could not be any more different. The former is based on a fictional event similar to the many tragic school shootings that have plagued our schools. I can still remember sitting in the Evans commons listening to the news at Columbine. It portrays a very unusual relationship between a woman, her husband, and her son and has, I think, something to say about modern society, parenting, and marriages.
    The latter is written by a clinical psychologist who, after becoming disenchanted with her work with troubled kids and families, began an earnest study of Judaism (her family’s religion, but not really her own until this later stage of her life) which lead to really wonderful insights (this book!) into parenting and healthy kids and families.

Hi Becky! Thanks for your book recommendations! I haven’t read either of those. I’ve had lots of reading time while feeding these days. I’ve also loved reading your blog! I tried to leave a comment but something messed up. Your plane trip was hysterically awful. xoxo

I love it too! I don’t think I’ll borrow your copy of Moby Dick though.

Hi Caroline! I couldn’t get through Tiger’s Wife in paperback but I think it was because I was having terrible morning sickness at the time. Should I give it another try? I haven’t heard of The Eyre Affair but will have to check it out!