Keeping us Fed
Hi Readers! I can’t believe that months have gone by since I last wrote. There have been a lot of changes in our life and it’s been wonderful. It’s definitely hard to find a moment to nap, let alone write! Most importantly, our daughter, Elaine “Laney” Andrews Metcalf arrived at 11:25 am on Monday, July 9th. Laney turned two months old yesterday and she’s a delight! We’re completely smitten with her.
As I’m way more consumed now with Laney’s meals and not my own, I haven’t done much cooking, but neighbors and friends have been showering us with meals. I thought I would never be able to be the recipient of meals when we had a baby because of my dietary restrictions but people have been so great about wanting to accommodate me. There’s only been one mishap but fortunately, we caught it early…darn soy sauce in marinades! If people offer to make you meals, or even when you’re going to dinner at someone’s house, make sure that you are clear about your needs. People want to help you and serve you so let them! It is scary, I know, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed barely making a meal in the last two months.
Some meal highlights include:
- Zoe’s Kitchen kabobs: Zoe’s got me through pregnancy and deserves its own separate post. They have a gluten-free menu. (Just make sure you specify GF when you order). I love their kabobs and braised white beans, as well as their chicken salad with cole slaw. On their website they list all allergen information.
- Curry chicken salad and gazpacho
- Chicken and wild rice casserole
- Baked salmon, tomatoes and mozzarella, and arugula salad
- Grilled chicken caprese with roasted potatoes
- Pork tenderloin with roasted carrots and salad
- Quinoa with tomatoes, feta and corn
- Almond butter chocolate chip cookies (with GF oats)
- Pesto chicken with GF pasta
There are so many possibilities to prepare for someone who is gluten free and I am truly thankful to all of the people who took the time to carefully prepare these meals for me. David, Laney and I are very appreciative! The last two months were much smoother because of these meals.